"Jino" won the Good Design Award 2017

The product "Jino" which I designed won the Good Design Award 2017.

It's released on the official website of Good Design Award.

Jino is a creative gadget that goes beyond the boundaries of conventional toys. It can be played with by stacking as with construction toys, joining together as with block toys, and solving puzzles as with 3D puzzles. Because it is limited to just a single J-shaped piece, it stimulates the mathematical ability and artistic sense of the user, creating a sense of solving a mystery and making unlimited combinations while providing inspiration and amazement.

I designed the educational toy "Jino", and it's going to be productizationed with cooperation of the company Crown Clown Ltd.
We are preparing for the release of sales in November.
I'm working on the logo, photo shooting web design, package etc. as well as the product itself.
The official website was released on October 4th before the release of the sales.
I'd be happy if you can take a look. (written in Japanese only for the moment, sorry.)

Jino official website: http://jino-toy.com/

It will be purchasable on the website from November (only in Japan for the moment)

Good design Exhibition 20017 will start on November 1st and "Jino" will be exhibited there. You can actually touch and experience the product.


Nobember 1(wed)-5(sun)
11:00-20:00(until 18:00 on the last day / entrance 30min before closing)

Admission reception: Tokyo Midtown hall (Midtown east B1F)

The official website of Good Design Exhibition 2017

Kiokusoshi (Memory Element) -Takashi Maruyama and his students

I'm participating in a group exhibition in Sapporo.
There are two terms and my work will be in the first one.

Kiokusoshi (Memory Element) -Takashi Maruyama and his students

【First term】7 October (sat) - 5 November (sun)
【Second term】8 November (wed) - 10 December (sun)

10:00~17:00(Entrance until 16:30)

Admission fee:
General: 600yen、Over 65: 500yen、Students: 400yen、Free under junior high school student

Shin Hongo Memorial Museum of Sculpture, Sapporo

【First term】Goh IDETA, Tetsuro KITAMURA, Naotoshi SUGAWARA, Yoko SONODA, Yuzo CHIBA, Ari NAKAMURA, Hiroyuki NOGAMI, Kazuhiko FUJIMOTO, Hideaki MAKINO, Kyoko MARUYAMA, Michi MUSASHI
【Second term】Tomoko AKIYAMA, Kenichi AZUMI, Hiroko KATO, Shotaro SAKAMOTO, Kazuaki SATO, Satoko SHUNDO, Kanako TOMIHARA, Hiroyasu HASEGAWA, Naohiro FUJITA

We can change the light

I've been working on the project of "Artist in School" which started in October.
The exhibition will start on Nov 21st as the result.

We can change the light
November 21 (sat) - December 6th (sun)
10:00AM-6:00PM (Open until 8PM on Saturday)
Kawaguchi Art Gallery ATLIA


New webpages of my latest installation 'waiving' were added on the page of works.
The video was uploaded on YouTube as well.

North Line

I'm participating in a group exhibition in Sapporo.

"North Line"
5 April (sat) - 27 June (fri)
7:30AM-10:00PM (until 5PM on the last day)
Sapporo Odori 500m Underground Walkway Gallery
Between Odori Nishi 1chome and Higashi 2chome, Chu-o-ku, Sapporo
(Concourse in underground between Subway Odori St. and Bus Center Mae St.)

Arinori Ichinara, Rumiko Sugiyama, Ikuo Watanabe, Keiji Nomata, Michiyoshi Isozaki, Goh Ideta, Shunsuke Minami, Oizumi Rikiya, Kineta Kunimatsu, Akihiro Kuroda, Kazuhiko Fujimoto, Makoto Iga, Shinsaku Horita, Shuji Izumi, Katsumi Yazaki, Yoshinori Arai, Yoshinori Arai, Midori Ikeda

The website was renewed.
The page of 'WORKS' is placed at the first page, and the link of YouTube that you can see videos of my works is added on the menu above.

Report of volunteer in Ishinomaki
On 24 June, I participated a volunteering activity of reconstruction support in Tohoku for weekend arranged by an organization called 'ap bank'. They have been dispatching weekend volunteers from Tokyo to afflicted area in collaboration with the organization 'Peace boat' since April.
There was the orientation a week prior to the departure. After the explanations about activities and what we had to prepare, we had to write promissory letter that everyone had to take his own responsibility in any case. We formed teams of 6 people each, decided a leader and exchanged contact information. There were some people had been there already and we were able to share the information, so I felt a bit easier. What we had to prepare was very detailed but I had enough time to do that in a week.
We assembled in Shinjuku Friday night, and headed to Ishinomaki city in Miyagi by bus. It was a group of over 100 people with 3 buses.

We arrived at Ishinomaki Senshu University where the volunteer center was located next morning. After leaving the luggage at tent and changing to working outfit, we got on the bus again and traveled to the site. The work scheduled on this day was to clean sludge in street gutters in residential area called Sumiyoshi-chyo. Tsunami didn't only destroy buildings and wash everything away, but also left enormous amount of sludge covering everywhere and huge amount of time and labor have been spent to clean it up. There were factories around Ishinomaki port and they were all destroyed by tsunami, and chemical and oil came out from there mixed with sea water, domestic wastewater and mud from the river became sludge, and it smells awful and harmful to human health, moreover it's also troublesome the dust is flying in the air when it dries. The only way to clean inside of houses or narrow street gutters was to do by hands. After 3 months of the quake, central area of the city became a lot cleaner than before and I was able to feel that people have been working so hard consistently and developing step by step towards the restoration.

The area we worked was soaked maximum 180cm but not so many buildings were destroyed, and some people were still living. Street gutters were meant to be cleaned by inhabitants of the area, but most of people living there were old and also many house were still left empty, so they needed help of volunteers in fact.

After the detailed explanation of local staff, distribution of tools and allocation of sites on each team, we started working on it. It was very well organized to work systematically so that over 100 people could work efficiently, and various tools were well prepared to clean sludge too. We were also obliged to prepare proper accouterment such as protective boots, rubber gloves, goggle, mask, impermeable jacket and so on so that we were able to work safely. Houses around there didn't look like being damaged so much, but we could see the vivid trace of water remained on the walls quite high up.

First we lifted up the heavy concrete lid of the gutter, then found it was bung-full of sludge. They said it gets flooded when it rains because there is no way water goes.

The spot we did was little bit dry and not so smelly, so it was relatively easier than the spot which was really wet, but it was quite a physical work. The weather was cloudy and luckily not so hot, so the temperature was quite good for work, but I got soaking sweaty after for a while. People living in the house in front of the street came to give us some cold tea or fruits, and it was amiable and friendly atmosphere. That made me able to feel that I could be help of afflicted people. Although we could not complete the given area this day, we had to stop working when the scheduled time had come, and we called it a day. On the bus way back to the tent, I saw the site with rubble piled up from the disaster. My voice came out because the amount was unbelievable.

Next morning, it was cloudy but looked like it was gonna rain, though it was not raining when we were having breakfast. We prepared for work and while we were doing warming up exercise, big raindrops started falling. They held a leader meeting quickly and decided to cancel the schedule of the day. It's preliminarily decided that they don't work outside when it rains even it's just a little. Because there is a possibility that rain contains radioactive substance. Nobody has any clear information how much radioactive substance contained in rain and how much it affects human health. It's often said that the accident of Fukushima nuclear plant is man-made disaster, the influence of the accident is the big cause of delaying the restoration. I felt regret that we didn't complete the gutter we were working on the day before and left halfway. I was very mortified that we came all the way from Tokyo and we couldn't work whole one day although we had only two days there. We reluctantly changed working wear again and packed up. Instead, they arranged for us to have a bus tour to see more severely damaged area close to the coast and Onagawa town next to Ishinomaki.

As we came closer to the damaged area around the port, it started smelling quite bad. I've seen it on TV some times, but it was quite shocking to see it in real as hard to imagine there was a town with people living there just a few months ago. Most of rubble was cleaned up already and it was mostly desolate empty space but there were still some buildings of houses, shops or factories destroyed ground floor yet standing on a tilt. The power of tsunami is really incredible and scary that utterly destroys buildings into pieces. I was imagining it might have been so tough for people who lost their house and everything in there just in few minutes and lost even family or significant person. They told us that there was still possibility of unfound victim's dead bodies lying under the collapsed houses just we were looking at. It was also striking that there was completely damaged area next to not so much damaged area only about 100m away. Not only the throughly damaged area with empty space but also the area with huge amount of rubble and piles of countless unusable cars gathered from there told us how big the disaster was. I felt regret that we couldn't work due to rain, but it was a significant experience to see the situation of afflicted area in real. One of local staff told us that it's also one of important tasks of volunteers to report the situation of afflicted area to people as many as possible.

There was a shop selling local products which was in a shopping arcade where was also soaked by tsunami but cleaned up already. We dropped by there and did some shopping after the bus tour. I bought a smoked beef tongue and a pack of instant clam soup. It is also one of the ways to help people there to buy local products and leave some money. We left half day earlier than planned and headed to Tokyo. We arrived in Shinjuku and the team being together for two days was dissolved. I think it was a good team with friendly and warm atmosphere. It was just usual Tokyo, but I felt so unrealistic because the contrast was too big between Isinomaki where I was just half day before. Even though it was very short and I couldn't work as volunteer so much, I think it was good that I participated. I think it's not so easy to just go there and do volunteering on your own, but it's very good that there is an organization to support dispatching people for volunteer. It was a significant experience for me to do something to help the restoration and see in my eyes and know the situation of the afflicted area in person. It's a very ordinary writing (and maybe many errors in english) and maybe many other volunteers have been writing almost same thing, but I just tried to write down what happened in this two days in my own way.

Tohoku no Tomodachi (Friends of Tohoku): Art Fundraiser for Japan
On 11th March, here, Toride in south of Ibaraki was quite shaky too. It was heavily rolling for quite long and it came again and again, I felt it was extraordinary, I went outside and waited until it stopped shaking. Luckily there was not much damage here except for some stuff had fallen down or off. I saw some houses around here had fallen roof tiles. Water was stopped after the quake, but it came back after few days.
When I switched on the TV, I saw unbelievable images were coming up one after another and I realized it was really a big quake.
I would like to express my heartfelt sympathy to the sufferer of the quake and the Fukushima nuclear plant.
The Fukushima nuclear plant is still in a serious situation. Damages are spreading out not only to the people living around there but also to agricultural and fishery industries by the radiation. I really hope that they find a solution and it ends as soon as possible.
As my family runs dairy farm, I feel pain in my heart when I see the news of cruel situation with farmers have to throw away milk or vegetables.

Artist Tiffany Chung, who is my friend living in Vietnam is organizing a fund-raising exhibition for donation, and I'm participating in it.
Art works contributed by 17 artists will be shown at Galerie Quynh in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Works will be available for purchase and 100% proceeds from sales will go to Red Cross Japan.
Details are following.

Tohoku no Tomodachi (Friends of Tohoku): Art Fundraiser for Japan

April 15 - 29, 2011

Opening Reception: Friday, April 15, 6 - 8pm

Galerie Quynh (www.galeriequynh.com), 65 De Tham Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Bui Cong Khanh (Vietnam)
Tiffany Chung (Vietnam/USA)
Do Hoang Tuong (Vietnam)
Hoang Duong Cam (Vietnam)
Goh Ideta (Japan)
Roslisham Ismail a.k.a. Ise (Malaysia)
Dinh Q. Le (Vietnam/USA)
Sandrine Llouquet (Vietnam/France)
Tea Makipaa (Finland/Germany)
Michikazu Matsune (Japan/Austria)
Nguyen Tan Cuong (Vietnam)
Nguyen Kim To Lan (Vietnam)
Nguyen Trung (Vietnam)
Nguyen Duc Tu (Vietnam)
Sudsiri Pui-ock (Thailand)
Keisuke Takahashi (Off-Nibroll, Japan)
Mikuni Yanaihara (Off-Nibroll, Japan)

Art Dubai
I'm going to participate Art Dubai by Gallery Christian Hosp from Berlin.
I will show 'cube ring' and some drawings of it.
I'm going to Dubai to install my works next week.
I'm looking forward to visiting Dubai for first time!

Video of reflections
I also uploaded video of 'reflections' that was exhibited in 'Garden for Children' in Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo last year on YouTube.

I made my YouTube account and uploaded videos of my works.
There is a page of my channel in YouTube, so you can see them all there.

I embed them here in this blog too.